Saturday, January 6, 2007

On the Boardwalk, Down by the Sea

My favourite thing to do in Waikiki is to walk along the oceanfront, following the boardwalk and sidewalks from the eastern boundary of Kapiolani Park and passing by Queen's Surf, Kuhio, and Waikiki Beaches as it continues westward.

The range of things you will see is enormous. Surf lessons, morning beach nuptials, entertainers, brightly coloured ocean fish, and huge numbers of individuals, families, and posers soaking in the sun and the surf are just some of the things that I saw during my walks along the boardwalk.

I wish that I had carried my camera to capture an image of a senior man and woman who were celebrating their New Year's Eve together at one of the public picnic locations. They had set up a nice area for themselves with a tablecloth on the table, a portable stereo with their favourite tunes, a Monopoly game, and dinner bought from a nearby vendor. So sweet! We briefly sat at a neighbouring table that evening, entertained by their music and eating less-than-remarkable take-out as a final meal for 2006.






No comments: